This Vanilla Malt Snack Cake with Chocolate Frosting comes from Yossy Arefi's brand new book, snacking cakes. The cake is a super simple, super moist, one bowl vanilla snack cake, with malt powder added for extra flavour. It is finished off with a fluffy chocolate frosting and sprinkles for good measure.
Hi hi! Happy Tuesday! I just wanted to pop in and share this recipe for a One-bowl Vanilla Malt Snack Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting. It comes from my friend Yossy's brand new book! It is the most beautiful book and would make the BEST holiday gift - you can order it here!
What is a Snacking Cake?
I'm going to be honest - I had no idea what a 'snacking cake' or snack cake was until I moved to the States. I immediately became obsessed with them as soon as I found out they existed. A snacking cake is a small, single layer cake, usually finished with either a simple glaze or frosting. Snacking cakes are less involved than something like a layer cake, but is perfect for a small gathering or even just when you want a little bit of cake.
All of the cakes in Yossy's book can be made with just a bowl and an electric hand mixer. All the recipes are made in an 8" square or 9" round pan. Each recipe has a load of different options in terms of ways to finish each cake, or different flavour variations to mix it up. Yossy has 50 recipes in the book (they all look amazing), but with all the flavour options and suggestions, the possibilities are endless.
What is Malt Powder?
According to this Spruce Eats article, malt powder is a mixture of evaporated milk powder, Barley, and wheat flour. It's the taste we associate with Malteasers and malted milkshakes. The "malt" name actually comes from the process that the barley goes from.
Malted Milk Powder was initially made as a supplement for babies to help with their digestion. It also lends an amazing flavour to baked goods. Malted milk powder keeps super well, so you can just grab a jar and have it on hand for adding into things. I popped it in this cream pie once and it was so good!
Yossy suggests adding it to the vanilla buttermilk cake in her book, and oh boy, it was amazing. The cake is super easy to make and comes together in one bowl. The frosting is also super easy, so you can pop this together in no time.
FAQ for Vanilla Malt Cake
Leave it out! This will still be a super delicious Vanilla Buttermilk Cake.
You sure can! Yossy mentions in the book that to make these into cupcakes, you can fill lined cupcake cases halfway with batter, then bake for 12 to 18 minutes.
To make this into a round pan, bake in a 9" round pan until puffed and golden, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
To make as a sheet, double the ingredients and bake in a 9" x 13" pan until golden and puffed and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Double frosting ingredients too.
A few wee tips for Vanilla Malt Cake
- Try to make sure your ingredients are room temp - bring the buttermilk and egg out of the fridge to come to room temperature before you start. If you forget you can always pop the egg in some warm water, and zap the buttermilk in the microwave just to take the edge off of it.
- This is where you want to crack out your good vanilla! We all know that I love love love Heilala Vanilla and use their paste in almost everything I make. CLOUDY20 will get you a wee discount on their site!
- My frosting so it wasn't as fluffy as it could be because I put a teeny bit too much milk in. Start with 1 Tbsp and go from there!
Like this? See more snack cake recipes:
❤️ Made this recipe and love it? ❤️
I would LOVE for you to leave me a review and star rating below to let me know how you liked it! Also, please make sure to tag me on Instagram!
This Vanilla Malt Snack Cake with Chocolate Frosting comes from my friend Yossy's brand new book, snacking cakes, which is out in the world today! The cake is a super simple, super moist, one bowl vanilla snack cake, with malt powder added for extra flavour. It is finished off with a fluffy chocolate frosting and sprinkles for good measure.
Vanilla Buttermilk Cake
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 240g buttermilk, well shaken, at room temperature
- 55g unsalted butter, melted
- 50g neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 160g all-purpose flour
- 30g malted milk powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 85g unsalted butter, very soft
- 25g unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 100g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp whole milk
VANILLA BUTTERMILK CAKE
- Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Butter or coat an 8" square baking pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper that hangs over two of the edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. Add the buttermilk, butter, oil, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until smooth and emulsified.
- Add the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles, and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula.
- Bake the cake until puffed and golden, and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and set it on a rack to cool completely.
- Add the butter to a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium-high until smooth and creamy.
- Turn the mixer onto low, add the cocoa powder, and mix until smooth, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as necessary, then slowly add the powdered sugar.Mix until the sugar is moistened, then add the vanilla, a pinch of salt, and 1-2 Tbsp milk.
- Turn the mixer to medium high and whip until light and fluffy, adding more milk as necessary to make a smooth and fluffy frosting.
- Top the cooled cake with swoops of frosting and scatter with sprinkles.
- Store covered, at room temperature, or in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Recipe reprinted with permission from 'Snacking Cakes' by Yossy Arefi
Keywords: Vanilla Snack Cake, Snack Cake, Yossy Arefi, Vanilla Malt Cake, Chocolate Frosting, Malted Milk Powder