These thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies are quick and easy to make. They have cardamom and milk chocolate in them which are the perfect pairing. These milk chocolate chip cookies are perfect for any occasion.
Hi hi! I know we are in full christmas cookie swing, and I wanted to take a second to pay tribute to what will be my all time best cookie friend - the chocolate chip cookie. I am popping on to share a slightly seasonal variation with you to add to your chocolate chip cookie recipe collection, which can be made without the spice for a bomb thin and crispy cookie for any time cookie eating.
I tweaked my perfect chocolate chip cookie for this recipe - tweaking the butter content, sugar ratios and leavening so that these cookies bake up relatively flat with lovely crispy edges. I also upped the chocolate and switched it to mainly milk with a little dark for good measure. I used a chopped bar for these, but chopped wafers work great too. I also added in a wee bit of cardamom and cinnamon for a spiced variation - leave this out if you like, but it’s a nice change on a classic. A good shower of flaky sea salt once they come out of the oven and you have the perfect thin and crispy situation.
This recipe doesn’t require a rest time - you scoop the dough and bake right away, but this dough would freeze very well. Just scoop the dough onto a lined baking sheet, freeze until solid, then store in an airtight container or bag and you have the perfect freezer stash!
To see all my tips and tricks on how to freeze cookie dough and how to bake from frozen, check out my post: How to freeze cookie dough
Happy holiday cookie-ing!
A few wee tips:
- If you don’t like cardamom (I am married to one of those monsters), then feel free to leave the spices out - these are a great, chocolate packed, thin and crispy cookie!
- I like mine chewy in the middle and crispy on the outside so 13 minutes is the sweet spot for me, but if you like them properly crispy, up the baking time.
- This cookie recipe is great because it doesn’t need any rest time, but if you like you can scoop the dough and either freeze or chill it until ready to bake - you may need to increase the baking time by a minute or two.
- I used mainly milk chocolate for these, with a little dark chocolate for balance, but these would work great with any type of chocolate.
❤️ Made this recipe and love it? ❤️
I would LOVE for you to leave me a review and star rating below to let me know how you liked it! Also, please make sure to tag me on Instagram!
Thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies, filled with warming cardamom and chunks of milk chocolate
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g white sugar
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 280g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 525g chocolate (I used 400g milk and 125g 60% just for some variation), chopped
- Flaky Sea Salt such as Maldon for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350f° / 180°c and line 3-4 baking sheets with parchment paper (you can also use 2 and just switch out the cooled cookies with more dough as you go if you don’t have lots of baking sheets).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on high speed for 5 minutes, until pale, and light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla, and mix to combine, scraping down the bowl when necessary.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the mixing bowl, and mix on low to just combine.
- Add 425g of the chopped chocolate, reserving 100g, and mix until just incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and give a few mixes by hand using a flexible spatula, to ensure even incorporation of the chocolate.
- Using a 2 Tbsp Cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets - I like to scoop enough for one tray at a time, and leave the remainder in the bowl until I am ready to bake. Roll into balls and arrange evenly on the tray - 6 dough balls fit well for me. Press a few pieces of the reserved chocolate onto the tops of the balls.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until lightly golden and beginning to set. Baking time depends on personal preference - if you like them a little softer, bake for 12 mins, if you like them a tiny bit crispy then bake for 13. Remove from the oven and sprinkle liberally with flaky sea salt. Allow to cool on the pan - the cookies will deflate slightly as they cool. Repeat the baking process with the remaining cookies.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Thin and crispy, cardamom, chocolate chip cookie, milk chocolate