Thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies, filled with warming cardamom and chunks of milk chocolate
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g white sugar
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 280g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 525g chocolate (I used 400g milk and 125g 60% just for some variation), chopped
- Flaky Sea Salt such as Maldon for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350f° / 180°c and line 3-4 baking sheets with parchment paper (you can also use 2 and just switch out the cooled cookies with more dough as you go if you don’t have lots of baking sheets).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on high speed for 5 minutes, until pale, and light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla, and mix to combine, scraping down the bowl when necessary.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the mixing bowl, and mix on low to just combine.
- Add 425g of the chopped chocolate, reserving 100g, and mix until just incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and give a few mixes by hand using a flexible spatula, to ensure even incorporation of the chocolate.
- Using a 2 Tbsp Cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets - I like to scoop enough for one tray at a time, and leave the remainder in the bowl until I am ready to bake. Roll into balls and arrange evenly on the tray - 6 dough balls fit well for me. Press a few pieces of the reserved chocolate onto the tops of the balls.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until lightly golden and beginning to set. Baking time depends on personal preference - if you like them a little softer, bake for 12 mins, if you like them a tiny bit crispy then bake for 13. Remove from the oven and sprinkle liberally with flaky sea salt. Allow to cool on the pan - the cookies will deflate slightly as they cool. Repeat the baking process with the remaining cookies.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Thin and crispy, cardamom, chocolate chip cookie, milk chocolate