Hi hi! I am tucked up in a little corner in the cosiest, most beautiful lodge in Tutka bay in Alaska - I am here on a baking retreat with Bake from Scratch Magazine, and just having the BEST time ever. Yesterday was my birthday, and after the most amazing day, we asked the team here if they wouldn’t mind taking Becky and I out for a sneaky wee kayak after dinner. It was one of those experiences I am going to remember forever - the water was glassy, the sun was setting, and there were so many otters. Right up there with one of the best birthdays ever.
I just wanted to pop on here and share the recipe for these super easy, super delicious one bowl chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate sour cream ganache frosting. The cupcakes themselves are crazy easy to make - everything comes together in the one bowl. The ganache is something that I am super excited to share with you. I was so excited that it worked when I tried it a few weeks ago, and I think that it is going to be a game changer when it comes to a pipable ganache. I often have a few issues with getting a ganache that is the perfect texture for piping without having to whip it a lot, but I think I have come across a winner here. Basically what you do is melt together sour cream and dark chocolate, and the result is a beautiful, silky, easy chocolate ganache that is so perfect for piping, but also has the most amazing tang from the sour cream.
I used a dark chocolate in this ganache, but I think that it would be so, so delicious with a milk chocolate too, which would really bring out the flavour of the sour cream. I’m super pumped to put this ganache on so many more things - it’s so easy to make, comes out so beautifully silky, and sets up firm in the fridge, sour cream truffles are next on my list!
A few wee tips:
- The Sour Cream ganache takes a few hours to firm up to a piping consistency, so make sure that you account for this. I like to make it first before I preheat the oven for the cupcakes, so there is enough time for it to firm up.
- I used an ateco #826 piping tip for this because the ganache, while perfect for piping onto these cupcakes, can be a touch less forgiving than a buttercream for piping, so I used a tip that is really easy to make ruffles with - you just hold the tip above the cupcake and it does most of the work for you! If you are using another tip just keep this in mind, as the ganache doesn’t behave just like a buttercream does.
- This recipe also bakes into a 9” square sheet cake - it takes about 35 minutes to bake.
❤️ Made this recipe and love it? ❤️
I would LOVE for you to leave me a review and star rating below to let me know how you liked it! Also, please make sure to tag me on Instagram!
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Ganache Frosting
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 250g granulated sugar
- 80g dutch process cocoa
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 120g neutral oil
- 220g whole milk, at room temperature
- 200g boiling water
Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Ganache Frosting
- 560g good quality dark chocolate (I used 70%), chopped
- 500g full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
- Crispy pearls or flaky sea salt to finish, optional
ONE BOWL CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners (This recipe made 14 to 16 cupcakes so you may need two pans, or you can bake them separately).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the eggs, yolk, vanilla bean paste, oil, and milk, and mix to combine well. Add the boiling water and whisk until incorporated.
- Scoop about ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp of batter into each liner using a cookie scoop (I have a ¼ cup scoop and a 2 Tbsp, or you could use a quarter cup measure).
- Bake the cupcakes for 19 to 20 minutes, or until they spring back when touched, or a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
DARK CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM GANACHE
- Place the sour cream and chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl, and mix to combine.
- Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval (it will likely take a minute, but watch carefully). Once the chocolate is melted, switch to a whisk and whisk the ganache until it is well combined and shiny. Scrape down the edges of the bowl with a spatula.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface of the ganache, and leave to sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours, or until it has thickened and is a pipeable consistency.
- Transfer the ganache to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip such as an ateco #826. Pipe ruffled piping onto the cupcake, by holding the piping tip directly above the cupcake, and piping a mound of ganache. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Finish with sprinkles, crispy pearls, or flaky sea salt, as desired.