Brown butter salted caramel tart with chocolate ganache topping. A brown butter graham crust is filled with a silky, chewy brown butter salted caramel filling, and is topped off with a smooth dark chocolate ganache. This tart only requires 10 minutes of bake time, and can be prepared ahead, making it the perfect summer or any time recipe.
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Tart with Chocolate Ganache
I just discovered the photos for this Brown Butter Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache Tart just chilling on my computer, so I figured I should probably pop the recipe up here for you! This guy is super easy, only takes 10 minutes of baking time, and can be made ahead, so is perfect for prepping ahead of time and not boiling up your entire kitchen. Can you tell we are right in the middle of summer here in NYC? It’s sticky.
This tart is super easy and is kind of a riff on a few of my recipes. I took a brown butter graham cracker crust and filled it with the filling from this brown butter salted caramel slice, which is potentially one of my favourite recipes from this year. I then topped the whole thing with a chocolate ganache, which I used a dark chocolate for in order to balance out the sweetness of the caramel.
How to make Brown Butter Salted Caramel Tart
This tart has three delicious components, which, when combined make the ultimate dream team. A crunchy, toasty brown butter graham cracker crust, then a silky, chewy brown butter salted caramel filling, then a smooth ganache to top it all off, along with a very healthy dose of my favourite flaky sea salt. I hope you enjoy! x
A few wee tips for making Salted Caramel Tart:
If you can’t find graham crackers, digestives work great too. You may have to adjust the amount of butter a tiny bit - you want it to resemble wet sand.
I used a 9" removable bottom tart tin for this, which meant that it was super easy to just lift out once I was done - I placed a bowl upside down and put the tin on top, which meant that the outer ring could be easily removed without awkwardly having to try and hold it at the same time as taking it off.
I am going to get you to brown all of the butter at once to make it nice and easy. The extra amount in the initial quantity accounts for water loss when you brown the butter.
I added the ganache when it was cooled so I could add texture - to do this I popped it in the fridge, stirring very frequently until it was thick enough to spread on.
For more Salted Caramel Recipes:
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache Brioche Doughnuts
- Brown Butter Salted Caramel Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Ganache Tart
- Salted Caramel Shortbread
- Salted Caramel Popcorn Cookies
Brown butter salted caramel tart with chocolate ganache topping. A brown butter graham crust is filled with a silky, chewy brown butter salted caramel filling, and is topped off with a smooth dark chocolate ganache. This tart only requires 10 minutes of bake time, and can be prepared ahead, making it the perfect summer recipe.
- 310g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge, cut into cubes
Brown Butter Graham Crust
- 290g graham crackers, processed to crumbs (see notes for subs)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 125g brown butter, melted
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 14oz (400g) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 185g dark brown or light brown sugar
- 100g brown butter
- 50g golden syrup or corn syrup
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (drop to 1/2 tsp if you don’t like your caramel super salty)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Dark Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 200g dark chocolate (I used 70%), chopped
- 35g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 120g heavy cream
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan, and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter has melted, and then continue to cook, swirling the pan often, until the butter foams and turns golden brown and nutty - this should take 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly before using.
BROWN BUTTER GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. Add the melted brown butter and mix to incorporate - you want it to resemble wet sand.
- Press the crust mixture into a 9" removable bottom tart pan, pressing onto the sides, and then the bottom. Use a straight sided measuring cup or drinking glass to help you press the crust in tightly. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes, or until beginning to brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
BROWN BUTTER SALTED CARAMEL FILLING
- Place the Condensed Milk, brown sugar, brown butter, and golden syrup in a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and stir until melted together, then cook, stirring constantly with a whisk or rubber spatula (I like to use a whisk then switch to the rubber spatula), until the mixture registers 220°f / 105°c on a candy thermometer. Watch the bottom carefully to avoid the mixture catching, turning down the heat if needed.
- Once the caramel has reached the correct temperature, add the vanilla and salt, mix well to incorporate, and pour it into the cooled graham cracker base and smooth off by shaking the pan and using an offset spatula if needed. Transfer to the fridge and allow to set for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until you can no longer feel heat in it.
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Place the heavy cream into a small saucepan and heat until there is movement around the edges - do not boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and butter, and cover with a plate. Leave to stand for 4-5 minutes, then remove the plate and whisk to incorporate until smooth and shiny.
- Place into the fridge, stirring every few minutes, until the ganache has thickened slightly - enough that when you run a spoon through it, the indentation stays. Spread over the surface of the cooled caramel tart, and chill until set.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving. Use a sharp knife that has been warmed and dried to cut.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or covered with foil in the fridge.