Brown butter salted caramel tart with chocolate ganache topping. A brown butter graham crust is filled with a silky, chewy brown butter salted caramel filling, and is topped off with a smooth dark chocolate ganache. This tart only requires 10 minutes of bake time, and can be prepared ahead, making it the perfect summer recipe.
- 310g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge, cut into cubes
Brown Butter Graham Crust
- 290g graham crackers, processed to crumbs (see notes for subs)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 125g brown butter, melted
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 14oz (400g) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 185g dark brown or light brown sugar
- 100g brown butter
- 50g golden syrup or corn syrup
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (drop to 1/2 tsp if you don’t like your caramel super salty)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Dark Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 200g dark chocolate (I used 70%), chopped
- 35g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 120g heavy cream
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan, and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter has melted, and then continue to cook, swirling the pan often, until the butter foams and turns golden brown and nutty - this should take 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly before using.
BROWN BUTTER GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. Add the melted brown butter and mix to incorporate - you want it to resemble wet sand.
- Press the crust mixture into a 9" removable bottom tart pan, pressing onto the sides, and then the bottom. Use a straight sided measuring cup or drinking glass to help you press the crust in tightly. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes, or until beginning to brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
BROWN BUTTER SALTED CARAMEL FILLING
- Place the Condensed Milk, brown sugar, brown butter, and golden syrup in a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and stir until melted together, then cook, stirring constantly with a whisk or rubber spatula (I like to use a whisk then switch to the rubber spatula), until the mixture registers 220°f / 105°c on a candy thermometer. Watch the bottom carefully to avoid the mixture catching, turning down the heat if needed.
- Once the caramel has reached the correct temperature, add the vanilla and salt, mix well to incorporate, and pour it into the cooled graham cracker base and smooth off by shaking the pan and using an offset spatula if needed. Transfer to the fridge and allow to set for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until you can no longer feel heat in it.
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Place the heavy cream into a small saucepan and heat until there is movement around the edges - do not boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and butter, and cover with a plate. Leave to stand for 4-5 minutes, then remove the plate and whisk to incorporate until smooth and shiny.
- Place into the fridge, stirring every few minutes, until the ganache has thickened slightly - enough that when you run a spoon through it, the indentation stays. Spread over the surface of the cooled caramel tart, and chill until set.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving. Use a sharp knife that has been warmed and dried to cut.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or covered with foil in the fridge.