This easy Black Bean Brownie is dairy free and vegan and filled with dark chocolate chunks. It is easy to make and will become your new favourite treat!
Table of contents
Easy Gluten Free Vegan Brownie
This brownie is full of surprises. It is dense and chocolatey without being too gooey, its not over sweet, and the ribbons of dark chocolate through it tie everything together beautifully. The surprises come in the form of the ingredients. Not only does it happen to be vegan and gluten free, but it uses black beans as a base. If you would like to keep it refined sugar free, skip the chocolate and up the cocoa content. I was as sceptical as anyone when I came across a similar recipe, but was pleasantly surprised. The beans in it give it a lovely dense texture, and make it a teensy bit more guilt free (who are we kidding here, nobody makes brownies with this in mind). I love it with some greek yoghurt, or it is also amazing with some whipped coconut cream.
Notes for Vegan Black Bean Brownies
A few wee notes:
This makes a fairly small amount of brownie - I often double it, and bake it in a 9" tin for about 25-30 minutes.
It will look kind of under cooked when it is done - you want it to be just set! It will firm up nicely in the fridge.
You can also make this in 4" cake pans - it makes about 4 layers.
For more Dairy Free Recipes, check out:
❤️ Made this recipe and love it? ❤️
I would LOVE for you to leave me a review and star rating below to let me know how you liked it! Also, please make sure to tag me on Instagram!
Recipe for Black Bean BrowniePrint
his easy Black Bean Brownie is dairy free and vegan and filled with dark chocolate chunks. It is easy to make and will become your new favourite treat!
- ½ cup rolled oats (choose gluten free oats here if required)
- 1 ½ cups of cooked black beans, or one 15oz / 425g can, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp good quality Dark Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180c. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Blitz the oats in the food processor until they resemble a coarse powder. Add the beans, maple syrup, and the coconut oil and pulse until a smooth paste is reached.
- Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each 30 seconds, until smooth. Add and mix well. Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the brownie is just starting to set. Cool in the tin. The brownie will firm up nicely if left a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Serve with Greek yoghurt or whipped coconut cream, either by the slice, or stacked into baby cakes!
I made a cute wee video of this which you can find on my instagram!