This homemade pumpkin pie recipe is super easy, and will never crack! A flaky pie crust is filled with a smooth spiced pumpkin pie filling - this delicious pumpkin pie is the perfect addition to your thanksgiving dessert spread.
- 1 homemade pie crust, shaped into a disc and chilled*
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 100g granulated sugar
- 60g all-purpose flour
- 100g light or dark brown sugar
- 230g whole milk
- 155g heavy cream
- 210g pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- pinch of salt
- I like to make my pie crust the night before or at least 2 hours before to give it time to rest.
- Once the dough has rested, unwrap and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/4” (6mm) in thickness, turning the dough 45˚ often as you are rolling to keep it even. You want the circle to be slightly larger than your pie tin. Transfer to a 9” pie tin, and arrange to ensure that the dough is well settled.
- Trim the dough using scissors or a sharp knife, leaving about one inch excess around the edges. Gently tuck the dough under and onto itself, to give you a neat folded edge. Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, then remove from the fridge and crimp as desired. Dock all over with the tines of a fork, then chill for a further 30 minutes. If you would like to help the crust set, I sometimes put it in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
- While the crust is in the fridge, preheat the oven to 425˚f / 220˚c. Cut a piece of parchment slightly larger than the pie dish. Line with the parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans, filling right to the bottom of the crimps.
- Place the pie tin on a baking sheet, and place in the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, remove the parchment paper and beans. Drop the oven temperature to 375°f / 190°c. Return the pie crust to the oven and bake for a further 2-3 minutes, until the inside of the crust is set and barely golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack in the pan.
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- Preheat the oven to 375°f / 190°c with a rack in the lower section of the oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour. Add the brown sugar and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the milk, cream, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, vanilla, and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Place the par-baked crust onto a baking sheet and place the whole thing into the oven (I like to pour the filling into the crust while it is in the oven to avoid any slopping). Carefully pour the filling into the crust, right to the edges of the crust. Depending on the size of your pan you may have a little filling leftover.
- Bake the pumpkin pie for 30 to 32 minutes, until the edges are set but the middle still is jiggly.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge and chill for a few hours before slicing and serving.
Keywords: Pumpkin Pie, Easy Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Pie Recipe