Classic American Buttercream - powdered sugar, butter, heavy cream, and vanilla are whipped up into a fluffy, thick American buttercream with that perfect nostalgic taste.
- 225g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- 500g (4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 Tbsp whole milk, as needed
- Green gel food colouring (we used Forest green by Americolor)
- Additional Sprinkles (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter, vanilla bean paste and salt until pale and creamy. Sift in the powdered sugar, and mix on medium speed until well combined. If needed, add milk a tablespoon at a time, until the frosting is light and fluffy, and a pipeable consistency. Add gel food colouring until the desired colour is reached. Transfer to a bag fitted with a large french star tip (I used an ateco #866).
- Pair up the macaron shells, and pipe a round of buttercream on one half of each pair. Sprinkle with additional Sprinkles. Top with the second shell. Macarons taste best if you 'mature' them in the fridge overnight to let the flavours meld, but they are perfect eaten immediately too! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: American Buttercream, American Frosting, Powdered Sugar Frosting, Classic frosting, vanilla frosting