Peppermint Swiss Meringue Buttercream - this buttercream is smooth and silky, and is lightly peppermint flavoured, making it the perfect holiday macaron filling!
- 60g egg whites
- 100g granulated sugar
- 225g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Red gel food colouring to Paint bag.
- Place the egg whites, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer or a heat proof bowl. Place over a pot of simmering water, ensuring that the water does not touch the bowl. Heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture registers 160˚f / 70˚c on a thermometer and the sugar has dissolved. Carefully transfer the bowl to the mixer, and fit with the whisk attachment. Whip the egg whites on high until they are snowy white and fluffy, 8-10 minutes. Add the butter one chunk at a time. The mixture may look curdled - but just keep mixing! Once all the butter is incorporated, mix on high for a further 10 minutes. Add the vanilla and peppermint extract, and mix until incorporated.
- Once the buttercream has finished mixing, and is smooth and silky, add in the vanilla bean paste. Mix for a further 2-3 minutes, then switch to the paddle attachment and mix on low for one minute to remove any air. Fit a piping bag with a closed star tip, and paint four stripes of red food colouring on the inside of the bag. Fill with the buttercream.
- Pair up the macaron shells, and pipe a round of buttercream on one half of each pair. Top with the second shell. Macarons taste best if you 'mature' them in the fridge overnight to let the flavours meld, but they are perfect eaten immediately too! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: Swiss Meringue Buttercream, Macarons, Gluten Free