Mini Chocolate Sheet Cake is made in an eighth sheet pan and has a small batch chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream. This easy chocolate cake recipe is fast to make and always a crowd pleaser!
- 75g All-purpose flour
- 25g Dutch Process Cocoa
- 110g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 90g whole milk, at room temperature
- 60g neutral oil
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 35g egg white (about one egg's worth, but weigh it just to check)
- 50g granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch salt
- 120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 65g dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids), melted and cooled
- 5g dutch process cocoa powder
Sprinkles to finish (optional)
MINI CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 325°f / 160°c. Grease and line an eighth sheet pan or a 9”x5” loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, espresso powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, milk, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 25-28 minutes, until the center springs back when lightly pressed. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
CHOCOLATE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- Place the egg white and sugar in a medium heat proof bowl. Place over a small pot of simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk the mixture until it reaches 160°f / 70°c, then remove from the heat.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg white mixture until peaks form - you may need to tilt the bowl to the side to make the mixture deep enough. You do not need to form super stiff peaks - just something that holds somewhat of a peak. Add the vanilla and salt and mix to incorporate. Add half of the butter and mix until incorporated, then add the remaining butter and continue to mix until the buttercream is smooth and silky. Add in the melted chocolate and cocoa powder, and mix to incorporate.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter, or remove the parchment paper and return it to the pan. Add the buttercream on top and smooth as desired using an offset spatula. Add sprinkles if using. Transfer briefly to the fridge to allow the buttercream to firm up if needed. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate cake, swiss meringue buttercream, chocolate buttercream, frosting