Ginger Caramel Slice is a mashup of two New Zealand classics, ginger crunch and caramel slice. This slice has a gingery oaty base, then is topped with a smooth ginger caramel and finished with a drizzle of chocolate and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
Oaty Ginger Base
- 225g All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 225g Brown Sugar
- 100g Old Fashioned Oats
- 170g Unsalted Butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 65g honey
Ginger Caramel Topping
- One 395g can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 185g Brown Sugar
- 115g Unsalted Butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 70g honey
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 100g semi-sweet chocolate (about 50% cocoa)
- 1 1/2 tsp Neutral Oil
- flaky sea salt to finish (optional)
OATY GINGER BASE
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease and line a 9” (23cm) square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, extending over the edges a little so that you have something to grab onto when removing the base.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger. Add the brown sugar and old-fashioned oats and mix well to combine.
- In a small pot, melt together the butter and honey. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Press the mixture into the tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and slightly darker around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
GINGER CARAMEL TOPPING
- Place the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, and honey in a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and stir until melted together, then cook, stirring constantly with a whisk or rubber spatula (I like to use a whisk then switch to the rubber spatula), until the mixture registers 230°f / 110°c on a candy thermometer. Watch the bottom carefully to avoid the mixture catching, turning down the heat if needed.
- Once the caramel has reached the correct temperature, add the ginger, salt, and vanilla, whisk well to incorporate, and pour it over the cooled base. Smooth off by shaking the pan and using an offset spatula if needed. Transfer to the fridge and allow to set for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until you can no longer feel heat in it.
CHOCOLATE TOPPING AND ASSEMBLY
- In a heat proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt together the chocolate and the oil, stirring frequently, until smooth. Alternatively, melt together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each. Transfer to a small piping bag or plastic bag with a small piece of the end snipped off - alternatively you can drizzle over the chocolate with a spoon.
- Remove the slice from the fridge and transfer to a chopping board by using the parchment extending over the edges as handles. Using a hot knife, cut into pieces. Spread out slightly or transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and drizzle with the chocolate. Finish with flaky sea salt if desired.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Keywords: ginger slice, caramel slice, ginger crunch, ginger, caramel, oats