Malted Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with Cream Cheese Whip. A flaky pie crust is topped with a silky malted dark chocolate pudding, and topped with a chocolate and vanilla bean piped cream cheese whipped cream.
- 375g All-purpose Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 225g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 240g cold water
- 1 cup ice
- 60g Apple cider vinegar
- Egg wash - 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water
Malted Dark Chocolate Filling
- 650g whole milk
- 120g heavy cream
- 250g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used 60%)
- 150g sugar
- 30g Corn starch
- 150g malted milk powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 135g yolks (5 large egg yolks)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- 400g Heavy cream, cold
- 225g Cream cheese, at room temperature
- 70g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch salt
- 10g dutch process cocoa, sifted
- Place flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut butter into chunks, and add to the flour. Toss lightly to coat. Working quickly, using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until there are only large pea-sized chunks left. You want a few lumps of butter remaining to keep the pastry nice and tender.
- Combine ice, water and cider vinegar in a bowl. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of the ice water into the flour and butter mixture, and using a stiff spatula or your hands, mix in well. Continue adding water a tablespoon at a time ( I normally need about 8-10 tbsp) until you have a dough that holds together well, but is not too wet. Squeeze together with your fingertips to make a homogenous dough. Shape into two discs, and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest in the fridge for at least two hours, or preferably overnight. (See notes for rolling out dough during resting period)
- Once the dough has rested, unwrap one disc and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/4” (6mm) in thickness, turning the dough 45˚ often as you are rolling to keep it even. You want the circle to be slightly larger than your pie tin. Transfer to a 9” pie tin, and arrange to ensure that the dough is well settled.
- Trim the dough using scissors or a sharp knife, leaving about one inch excess around the edges. Gently tuck the dough under and onto itself, to give you a neat folded edge. Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, then remove from the fridge and crimp as desired. Dock all over with the tines of a fork, then chill for a further 30 minutes, or freeze for 20 minutes or until solid.
- While the crust is in the fridge, preheat the oven to 425˚f / 220˚c. Cut a piece of parchment slightly larger than the pie dish. Line with the parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans, filling right to the bottom of the crimps.
- Place the pie tin on a baking sheet, and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, remove the parchment paper and beans, and brush the edges and crust with egg wash. Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, until evenly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
DARK CHOCOLATE MALTED MILK CREAM FILLING
- Place the milk, cream, and chocolate in a medium saucepan. Place over medium low heat, and whisk until combined and the chocolate has melted. Bring it to a very gentle simmer.
- While the chocolate is melting, in a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, corn starch, malted milk powder, and salt. Add the egg yolks and vanilla bean paste and whisk until well combined - it will look like it is not going to come together, but keep whisking!
- Remove the chocolate milk mixture from the heat, and, whisking the egg mixture constantly, pour about half of the chocolate mixture over the egg mixture. Whisk until well combined, then return to the saucepan with the remainder of the chocolate mixture. Return to a medium low heat, and, stirring constantly with a silicone spatula, heat until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, approximately 4 minutes. You want to see a few large bubbles in the centre of the saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, mixing until well combined.
- Strain the pudding mixture directly into the cooled pie shell, and smooth with an offset spatula. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the filling to prevent a skin forming. Leave to stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes, then transfer to the fridge to completely chill - 4 hours or overnight.
CREAM CHEESE WHIPPED CREAM
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla bean, and salt, and whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer half of the cream cheese whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a french star tip. Sift in the cocoa powder, and mix to combine. Transfer to a second piping bag fitted with a french star tip.
- Pipe blobs of the chocolate and plain cream cheese whipped cream over the surface fo the pie.
- Refrigerate until serving. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Filling recipe adapted from Erin Mcdowell
Keywords: Cream Pie, Malted Chocolate, Malt chocolate, Dark chocolate pie, chocolate cream pie, cream cheese whipped cream