Easy Apple Galette is the perfect apple dessert recipe. This apple galette recipe has a flaky homemade pie crust, a frangipane filling, and a sliced apple topping. A galette gives you the taste of pie but with a whole lot less work!
- 1 homemade pie crust, shaped into a rectangle and chilled*
- 70g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (about 50g not including the shell), at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 100g almond meal / almond flour, sifted
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced (see note in blog post about cutting apples)
Egg wash to finish - 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water
Raw / turbinado sugar to finish (optional)
- Make Pie Crust as directed. I like to make my pie crust the night before or at least 2 hours before to give it time to rest.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with either a spatula or a handheld electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well to combine.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix to incorporate.
- Add the almond flour, and fold in with a spatula.
- Use immediately, or store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove one piece of the pie crust from the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle approximately 35x28cm (14x11"). Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the pie crust with the frangipane, leaving a 2 inch (5cm) border around the edge.
- Top the frangipane with the sliced apple, shingling the pieces so there is some overlap.
- Brush the edges of the pie crust with egg wash, and then fold up the galette, adding a little egg wash between the folds on the corners to help them stick to each other.
- Place the galette in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to chill while you preheat the oven to 375°f / 190°c.
- Brush the galette crust with egg wash, then sprinkle the galette all over with raw sugar.
- Bake the galette for 35 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is deep golden brown. If the pastry puffs up in the oven and seems to have formed a bubble, poke the bubble with a knife to help deflate it.
- Remove the apple galette from the oven and leave on the pan to cool completely.
- Store the galette lightly covered at room temperature.
Keywords: galette, apple galette, frangipane, pie