Brown Butter Anzac Biscuits - these traditional Anzac biscuits are chewy and oaty, and are made with brown butter and honey for a perfect depth of flavour. This is a quick Anzac biscuit recipe, and is perfectly soft and chewy.
- 175g Unsalted butter, cold from the fridge is fine (see note about butter quantities)
- 40g Steens Raw Native Bush Honey
- 30g water
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 135g all-purpose flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 110g Old-fashioned oats (Rolled Oats)
- 130g light or dark brown sugar
- 90g white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°f / 160°c. See notes about oven temp - if your oven is running hot, these will spread a lot. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan, and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter has melted, and then continue to cook, swirling the pan often, until the butter foams and turns golden brown and nutty - this should take 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Weigh out 135g of the brown butter and place into a small saucepan. Add the Steens Raw Native Bush Honey and water, and place over a low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth and melted together.
- While the wet ingredients are heating up, in a large bowl, combine the flour, coconut, oats, brown sugar, white sugar, and salt. Mix until full incorporated.
- Once the butter and honey mixture is smooth and combined, remove from the heat and add the baking soda, mixing well to incorporate (it will foam up a little). Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined.
- Portion the mixture into 2 Tbsp balls (it will feel a little greasy but that is ok), and roll into balls. Space evenly on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 14 to 15 minutes, until they are golden brown and set around the edges. Check for doneness after 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a large cookie cutter, scoot the biscuits into a round shape if desired. Leave to cool on the pans - they will set up as they cool.
- Store biscuits in an airtight container.
Keywords: Anzac Biscuit, Brown Butter, Oatmeal, Anzac Cookie