Cheeseboard with zucchini relish
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) Zucchini, washed and grated
- 2 medium brown onions, peeled and diced finely
- approx ⅓ cup salt (To sweat the zucchini and onions. I used Kosher salt)
- 3 cups (600g) white sugar
- 2 cups (480ml), white vinegar, plus a little extra to make a paste with the flour
- 4 tsp mustard seeds, or 5 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp celery seed or celery salt
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 Tbsp flour
- approx ⅓ cup salt (I used Kosher salt)
- Wash and grate the zucchini. Place into a large bowl. Add the finely diced onions. Salt heavily, and stir well to combine. Leave for at least 2 hours to allow the zucchini and onion to sweat.
- In a large pot, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse the zucchini and onion, squeezing out any excess moisture. Add to the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring to ensure it does not catch.
- Mix the flour with a little vinegar to make a smooth runny paste. Add to the pot, and cook until the relish thickens slightly.
- Pour into sterilised jars, and screw on lids tightly. Allow to cool completely before using. Store in the fridge once open.