These homemade white chocolate chip cookies are the perfect dessert for those who crave something sweet but don't have a lot of time. This simple recipe comes together quickly so that you can enjoy these soft-baked and chewy cookies with pockets of white chocolate chips in just 30 minutes. Whether you're looking for a quick cookie to enjoy on its own or something to share with friends, these cookies are sure to please.
- 150g salted butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 100g light or dark brown sugar
- 60g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50g not including the shell)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 165g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1.5g (1/2 tsp) salt
- 220g white chocolate , plus more for the tops if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan, and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter has melted, and then continue to cook, swirling the pan often and stirring with a whisk, until the butter foams and turns golden brown and nutty - this should take 3-4 minutes.
- Weigh out 110g (see Notes section below) of the brown butter into a medium bowl and leave to cool for 10 minutes so that it does not scramble your eggs.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar to the bowl with the brown butter, and mix to combine.
- Add the egg and whisk well for 1-2 minutes, or mix using an electric mixer, until the mixture has lightened in colour and has thickened.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine with a rubber spatula until there are some flour streaks remaining - this is to ensure you do not over work the dough.
- Add the chocolate and mix to incorporate with a rubber spatula.
- Using a size #24 cookie scoop (2.5 Tbsp), scoop 6 balls of cookie dough (each should weigh around 70g). Roll into balls. Arrange evenly apart on the pan. Keep the remainder of the batter in the bowl lightly covered with plastic wrap.
- Bake the cookies for 13-14 minutes, until the edges are set. Bake for longer if you would like your cookies to be crispier. Remove from the oven and bang the pan briefly on the counter to help deflate the cookies. If you would like to help your cookies to be perfectly round, use a cookie cutter slightly larger than the cookie to ‘scoot’ them into a perfectly round shape. Add additional white chocolate to the tops of the cookies if desired.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with flaky sea salt. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the baking process with the remainder of the cookies. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- You will notice that there are two quantities of butter in the recipe - the initial quantity of butter, then a second measurement in the method which is the quantity of brown butter. The larger initial quantity is to account for water loss when browning - read more about that in my FAQ.
Keywords: white chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chip cookie recipe