These easy, fluffy Vanilla Bean Cupcakes are topped with a swirl of chocolate peanut butter American Buttercream and finished with a healthy dose of sprinkles. Mix and match your cupcake and buttercream recipes to make your own cupcake and frosting combinations.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 165g whole milk
- 60g full fat greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 225g sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
Chocolate Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 265g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 230g smooth peanut butter
- 80g dutch process cocoa powder
- 540g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 105g heavy cream, plus more as needed
- Sprinkles to finish
VANILLA BEAN CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line 1-2 muffin pans with paper cupcake liners (I ended up with 14 cupcakes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, milk, and yoghurt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix briefly to combine.
- With the mixer on low, add the butter a cube at a time, until fully incorporated and the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Add half of the wet ingredients into the mixer. Mix until just combined, then add the second half of the wet ingredients. Mix on medium speed until just combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and give a few folds with a rubber spatula to ensure that no dry ingredients remain.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about 1/4 cup of batter - you want them about 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown and the top springs back when pressed. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake should come out with no crumbs attached.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in their pans, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERCREAM
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and cocoa powder on medium speed until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt, and mix to combine.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until incorporated, then increase the speed and whip until fluffy. Decrease the speed to low and mix for a few minutes to remove any air bubbles.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a closed star tip (I used an ateco #846).
- Pipe a spiral of buttercream onto the top of each cupcake, and top with sprinkles. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: vanilla bean, cupcake, peanut butter, chocolate, american buttercream