VANILLA BEAN SALTED CARAMEL NUT MIX
Note: This recipe is very scaleable - it would double very well, and the nuts keep for a long time in an airtight container. Toasting them really helps to bring out the depth of flavour. You can use any nuts you like here.
- 1 cup skinned hazelnuts (I used skinned, if you have nuts with the skin on, rub them together after toasting to remove skins)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 250g granulated sugar
- 45g (3 Tbsp) water
- 15g (1 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Heilala vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbsp flaky sea salt (such as maldon)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f / 180˚c. Spread the nuts onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, shaking the baking sheet frequently, until they smell toasty. Remove from the oven, skin the hazelnuts if needed by rubbing them together in a tea towel, and pour into a large heatproof bowl. Wipe the baking sheet down and line with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Place the sugar and water into a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Place over low to medium heat, without stirring, and washing down the sides of the pot with a pastry brush dipped in water to remove any sugar crystals. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the mixture is amber in colour. Remove from the heat, and add the butter, whisking well to combine. Use caution as it may splatter. Stir in the vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the nuts in the heatproof bowl, and toss well using a silicone spatula to combine.
- Working quickly, dump out onto the lined baking sheet, and separate using two forks. Sprinkle with the flaky sea salt. Leave to cool and harden. Break apart and store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Edmond’s Cookbook