Swedish Cinnamon rolls - cardamom spiced dough is filled with a spiced filling, then rolled out and twisted into rolls. The rolls are finished with Swedish pearl sugar and baked until perfectly golden.
- 1 cup (250ml) whole milk, lukewarm
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 small egg, at room temperature
- 75g (5 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 115g (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Egg wash - 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water
- Swedish pearl sugar to finish (optional)
- Place the lukewarm milk, 1 Tbsp of the sugar, and the yeast in a medium sized bowl, and stir to combine. Leave for 10-15 minutes, or until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, place the flour, salt, cardamom and remaining sugar, and mix briefly to combine.
- Add the milk mixture and the egg to the dry ingredients, and mix on low for 2-3 minutes. Increase the speed of the mixer to medium, and mix for a further 5 minutes. Add the butter a little at a time, waiting until it is incorporated until adding the next piece. Mix for a further 7-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size, 45 minutes to an hour.
FILLING AND ASSEMBLY
- Place all of the filling ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well to combine.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 24"x15" rectangle. If you find that the dough is snapping back and hard to work with, cover it lightly with a tea towel and leave it for 5 minutes to relax before continuing to roll out.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the filling evenly over the dough, ensuring the mixture goes right to the edges. Holding the short side, starting on the left, fold the dough over a third, then fold the right side over so that it covers the left, the same way that you would fold a letter to go into an envelope. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to help the filling firm up a little.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and transfer back to your work surface. Roll out slightly. Using a ruler and a pastry wheel, working on the short side, cut the dough into strips approximately 2cm (0.8 inches) wide.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Working with one strip at a time, holding both ends, twist the strip a couple of times. Then, hold one end in your hand, and wrap the other end twice around your four fingers and thumb. Remove your thumb, and loop the strip over the top of the roll, and tuck it in underneath along with your thumb loop. (Alana's gif is v helpful here!)
- Place each bun on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between each. Once you have twisted all of your buns, cover the baking sheet loosely with plastic, and allow to sit in a warm place for 30-40 minutes, or until the cinnamon rolls have risen slightly. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 400˚f / 200˚c.
- Lightly egg wash each roll, and sprinkle liberally with pearl sugar. Bake for 15 minutes checking after 12, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, before transferring to a wire rack and allowing to cool completely.
- Store remaining rolls in an airtight container. Warm slightly in the microwave before serving.
Keywords: Swedish Cinnamon Rolls, Swedish Cinnamon Buns, Cinnamon Rolls, Cinnamon Buns