This easy sugar cookie recipe is made with basic ingredients and is easy to roll out to make cut-out sugar cookies of any shape. They bake up soft and chewy, and are perfect for decorating for any occasion.
- 170g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 180g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50g not including shell), at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 310g All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3g (1 tsp) kosher salt (see notes above recipe for using other salt)
- Place the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream together on medium high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the edges a few times to ensure the mixture is fully combined. This step can also be done in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Flour the top lightly and pat gently into a rectangle shape with your hands.
- Top with a second piece of parchment paper, and roll to a thickness of 0.25" / 6mm.
- Transfer the dough, still between the two pieces of parchment paper, to a sheet pan. Chill in the fridge for at least two hours to allow the dough to firm up, and up to three days ahead.
- When you are ready to bake the sugar cookies, preheat the oven to 325°f /165°c with a rack arranged in the middle of the oven. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper from the cookie dough. Cut out shapes of your choice using the cutters of your choice, and arrange on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little room for spreading and arranging by size if you are using multiple sizes of cutters - small cut out sugar cookies together and larger ones together etc.
- Once you have cut out your cookies, place the baking sheets with the cut out dough on them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Re-roll scraps of dough by pressing them together, flouring lightly, then rolling the dough out between two sheets of parchment again. Chill or freeze for 10-15 minutes before cutting out more cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, until they are set around the edges and just beginning to go golden. Different sized cookies may need more or less time depending on their size, so check after 12 minutes for doneness.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Keywords: Sugar Cookies, cut out cookies, cut out sugar cookies