These super easy bite-sized snowball cookies can be made and baked in 30 minutes! Made with only 6 ingredients, these snowball cookies are tender and buttery, and are the perfect holiday baking recipe to make with kids! The key to a good coating of 'snow' is rolling the cookies twice in powdered sugar - once when warm and once again when cool.
- 180g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 70g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 190g all-purpose flour
- 20g custard powder or corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt (use a little less if you are using table salt not kosher salt)
- Extra powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 165°c / 325°f. Line 1-2 baking pans with parchment paper (I can fit 24 cookies all on one half sheet pan which is 18"x13" /45cm x33cm )
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure the butter is all well incorporated.
- Add the flour, custard powder or corn starch and salt, and mix to combine with the mixer. The mixture will be quite soft.
- Using a 1 Tbsp scoop, scoop balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Dough balls should weigh 18g each.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball (there is no need to press down), and arrange on the baking sheet. They do spread slightly in the oven so make sure to account for that when spacing.
- Bake the cookies for 15-16 minutes, until set around the edges and mostly set around the tops. They should be lightly golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Place the additional powdered sugar for rolling in a wide shallow bowl.
- After 10 minutes, provided the cookies are cool enough to handle, roll generously in powdered sugar and return to the pan. Be careful as they can be a little delicate when warm.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before rolling generously in powdered sugar a second time.
- Store snowball cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
If you use salted butter, you can either omit the salt or reduce to just a pinch.
Powdered sugar is the same thing as confectioner's sugar or icing sugar - same thing just different names depending on where you are from.
Keywords: Shortbread, snowball cookies, holiday cookies