These Small Batch Dairy Free Brownies are super easy to make. They are made with cocoa powder and oil, so are the perfect chewy brownies, and can easily be made into gluten free brownies. They are made by hand in a bowl, no electric mixer required!
- 50g brown sugar (light or dark is fine)
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 60g Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 35g Dutch Process Cocoa (or you can use half black cocoa, half Dutch Process cocoa)
- 60g flour (all-purpose or Gluten Free blend)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder, optional
- 20g chopped dark chocolate, optional
- Flaky Sea Salt for finishing, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease and line a 9”x5” (23x13cm) or similar size loaf pan with parchment paper, extending the paper over the side of the tin to give you a sling to use to remove the brownie when cooked.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and egg. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the mixture has thickened and lightened in colour (alternatively use a handheld mixer). Add the vanilla and Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and espresso powder. Mix to combine. Add to the wet ingredients and fold in with a spatula until just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan, and spread in with a spoon or spatula. Top with the chopped chocolate.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, until the brownie is set around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes then use the parchment paper to remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
- Slice using a sharp knife, wiping between slices to ensure clean cuts.
- Finish with flaky sea salt if desired. Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.
Keywords: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Small Batch, Small Batch Brownies, Chewy Brownies, Dairy Free Brownies