These Small Batch Chocolate Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling are super easy to make. This Small Batch muffin recipe only makes 6 muffins, and the double chocolate muffin batter comes together quickly. You can make them with a cream cheese chocolate centre for a chocolate cream cheese muffin, or just leave them plain for a regular small batch double chocolate muffin - this recipe is super versatile!
- 135g all-purpose flour
- 110g granulated sugar
- 35g dutch process cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 100g greek yoghurt or sour cream, at room temperature
- 75g whole milk, at room temperature
- 70g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 30g neutral oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 110g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped, plus extra for the tops
- 100g full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400°f / 205°c. Grease and line a 6 hole muffin pan with paper liners (you can make your own with a square of parchment cut into a 5 1/2 “ square and pressed into each cavity in the pan if you like). Alternatively use a 12 hole muffin pan and use every second cavity - leaving space between them allows them to bake more evenly
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, milk, melted butter, oil, and egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold until just combined with a spatula. Add the chocolate and mix to incorporate.
- Scoop about 2 Tbsp of batter into each muffin cavity. Divide the cream cheese into 6 roughly equal pieces, and press into the batter of each muffin, pressing down lightly. Divide the remaining batter between the muffins to cover the cream cheese. Spread lightly with a spoon or spatula to ensure the cream cheese is covered. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a little dark chocolate if desired.
- Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly touched. Do not overbake as they will dry out.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack and allowing to cool completely.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Muffins, Small Batch, Chocolate Muffins, Cream Cheese, Double Chocolate Muffins