Soft and chewy red velvet sugar cookies are rolled in sprinkles for the perfect crunchy finish. These red velvet sprinkle cookies are a small batch recipe and can be rolled in any colour sprinkles you like.
- 120g all-purpose flour
- 20g Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tsp red gel food colouring
- White nonpareils or sprinkles of your choice for rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla, and beat until combined. Add the red gel food colouring, and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and cocoa mixture, and beat on low until just incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop 2 tbsp worth of mixture at a time. Roll into a ball using your hands, then roll generously in sprinkles. Place on the baking tray, leaving plenty of room to spread (I had 6 cookies on one baking tray and 3 on another).
- Bake one tray at a time for 11-12 minutes, until the cookies have puffed up and are beginning to crack on the tops, and the edges are set. Remove from the oven and if desired, take a cookie cutter slightly larger than the cookie and use it to 'scoot' the cookies into shape. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray for 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
Keywords: sugar cookies, sprinkle cookies, red velvet cookies, christmas cookies