This Small Batch Pesto Scone recipe is the perfect Savory Scone Recipe. They are flaky and tender, and full of flavour from the sundried tomato pesto and cheese. This easy cheese scone recipe can be put together quickly for whenever you need a scone fix! This small batch scone recipe makes 6 scones.
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 14g (3 1/2 tsp baking powder)
- 2g (½) tsp salt
- A few turns of black pepper
- 110g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and kept cold until ready to use.
- 100g Filippo Berio Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, cold from the fridge
- 80g cheddar, grated
- 40g parmesan cheese, grated
- 140g whole milk plus a little additional for the tops.
- Preheat the oven to 400°f / 205°c
- In a large bowl toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the butter and pesto to the bowl, and using your fingers, rub the butter and pesto into the flour until the mixture resembles crumbs - it is ok to have a few pieces of larger butter remaining. You want to ‘shingle’ the butter with your fingers.
- Add the grated cheeses and mix to combine. Add the milk, and, working quickly, gently bring the dough together in the bowl. Avoid kneading it in order to not overwork the dough. It is ok if there are a few wee dry spots.
- Turn the dough out onto a countertop. Try not to add flour if you can, but if you need some bench flour that is ok. Pat it out into a rectangle about 12”x6” (30x15cm), then fold into three like a business letter. Square it off with a bench scraper as you go to keep things as even as possible.
- Pat it out again into a 12”x6” rectangle, and perform another fold. Finally, pat the dough out into a rectangle about 5”x8”. (12cmx20cm). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the scones into 6 equal pieces and place onto the baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and top with additional cheese if desired.
- Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are browned on top and nicely browned on the bottoms. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Serve warm with butter. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. Re-warm either by toasting or microwaving before serving.
Keywords: Scones, Savory Scones, Small Batch Scones, Pesto Scones, Cheese Scones