Ginger crunch or ginger slice is a classic 'slice' or bar recipe from New Zealand. Oaty Ginger crunch has a chewy oat base and a ginger icing topping that is poured on when the base is hot and left to set. This easy ginger crunch recipe is great to make ahead and can easily be scaled up.
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 300g brown sugar
- 135g rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
- 225g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 90g golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract.
- 135g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 125g golden syrup
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger (dial back to 1 1/2 Tbsp if you don't want a super intense ginger flavour)
- 325g icing sugar / powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease a 9" x 9" (23cm square) tin, and line with two pieces of parchment paper, so that there is paper sticking out of the tin on all sides, forming a 'sling'.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger. Add the brown sugar and rolled oats, and mix well to combine.
- In a small pot, melt together the butter, golden syrup and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix well. Press the mixture into the tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden on the edges. Five minutes before the base is done, prepare the topping.
- For the topping, add all of the ingredients to a medium pot in the order listed. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Pour over the hot base, and leave to set at room temperature until set. Slice into pieces with a hot knife.
- Store in an airtight container. Can be kept in the fridge, but bring to room temperature before eating.
Keywords: ginger crunch, oats, old fashioned oats, new zealand, slice, bar