No-bake peppermint slice. A coconut chocolate graham crust is topped with a peppermint icing layer, then finished with a thin, smooth layer of chocolate. This no bake take on a New Zealand classic is perfect for the holidays or any time sweet treat snacking.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Base
- 1 (14.4 ounce) box (408 grams) graham crackers, or digestive biscuits
- 50g granulated sugar
- 45g dutch process cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 100 grams unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 260g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 570g confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 30g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp boiling water, plus 1-2 teaspoons more if needed (see notes)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- 250g 70% cacao dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) neutral oil such as vegetable or canola
CHOCOLATE GRAHAM BASE
- Grease and line a 9” square baking pan with baking spray and two pieces of parchment paper which extend over the sides to give you a ‘sling’ (this helps with removing the slice easily once it is set). In the bowl of a food processor, place the graham crackers, sugar, cocoa, and salt, and pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add the coconut. Stir to combine. Add the melted butter and mix with a rubber spatula until the butter is incorporated - it should resemble wet sand.
- Transfer the crust mixture into the baking pan, and press down evenly with a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup until compacted and smooth. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Place the confectioner’s sugar, butter, peppermint extract, and vanilla bean paste in a medium sized bowl. Add the boiling water, and mix to incorporate. It should resemble a thick paste that smooths out within about 20 seconds when the bowl is left to sit.
- Add an extra teaspoon of boiling water if needed to help get to the right consistency. Remove the pan from the freezer. Top with the Peppermint Filling, and bang the pan on the counter to level it out. Chill for 30 minutes to set.
- In a heat proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt together the chocolate and the oil, stirring frequently, until smooth. Alternatively, melt together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each.
- Pour over the set peppermint filling, and tilt the pan to evenly coat. Bang the pan on the counter several times to smooth out the topping and eliminate any bubbles.
- Chill in the fridge until completely set, at least an hour. Remove from the pan by using the parchment paper slings. cut into slices using a sharp knife, wiping between each. Store in an airtight container.
Keywords: Peppermint Slice, No-bake Peppermint Slice, Easy Peppermint Slice, Mint Slice