This Mini Funfetti Cake is a classic Birthday Cake with Vanilla Frosting. This Small Batch Vanilla Cake is filled with Funfetti Sprinkles and is topped with an easy small batch vanilla American Buttercream. This cake is baked in an Eighth sheet pan but can also be made in a loaf pan for the perfect small batch birthday cake!
Mini Funfetti Cake
- 130g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 65g whole milk, at room temperature
- 40g full fat greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 80g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 70g rainbow jimmies sprinkles
Vanilla American Buttercream
- 85g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 190g powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream (start with 1 Tbsp and add the second if you think the mixture needs it)
- Sprinkles to finish (optional)
MINI FUNFETTI CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease and line an eighth sheet pan or a 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, greek yoghurt, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the egg and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula.
- With the mixer on low, alternately add the wet and dry ingredients. Add a third of the dry ingredients, followed by half the wet ingredients, then another third of the dry ingredients, followed by the second half of the wet ingredients. Finally, add the remaining third of the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the sprinkles and fold in by hand to ensure they are evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth down. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to ensure the mixture is settled.
- Bake the Funfetti Snack Cake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown, springs back when lightly pressed, and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pan and place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
VANILLA BEAN AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together the butter, powdered sugar, and salt on high speed until combined. It will clump and then come together.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream and mix to combine. Mix for a further 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Plop the Buttercream onto the top of the cooled cake and spread with an offset spatula as desired. Top with sprinkles if using.
- Briefly freeze the cake if needed to set the frosting. Cut into pieces using a very sharp knife.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
Keywords: Funfetti, Funfetti Cake, mini sheet cake, mini funfetti cake, vanilla buttercream, vanilla american buttercream