Mini Banana Bundt Cakes with Coffee Salted Caramel
Coffee Salted Caramel
- 230g heavy cream
- 30g coarsely ground coffee
- 200g sugar
- 90g butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Banana Mini Bundt Cakes
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 150g sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 225g very ripe bananas (about two bananas), mashed
- 40g whole milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
COFFEE SALTED CARAMEL
- Place the cream in a small saucepan. Heat over gentle heat, until you start to see movement around the edges. Remove from the heat and add the ground coffee, stirring to combine. Cover, and steep for 20 minutes. Strain the cream through a fine mesh sieve, pressing down to get as much infused cream out as possible. Clean the saucepan. Weigh the cream, and top up to 120g if needed. Place over a low heat while you prepare the caramel.
- Place the sugar in a medium sized heavy bottom saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring constantly. The sugar will start to form clumps, then begin to melt. Cook until is it amber in colour, then remove from the heat and immediately add all of the butter. Be careful as the caramel will bubble rapidly. Once the butter is incorporated, add the infused cream and stir well. Stir in the salt, and pour into a glass jar. Allow to cool completely - either in the fridge overnight, or for a few hours.
BANANA MINI BUNDT CAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla bean paste and mashed bananas, and mix to combine.
- Warm up the milk either in the microwave or in a very small pan, then add the baking soda and mix to dissolve. Add to the mixture and beat to combine.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the mixer, and mix on low until just combined.
- Spray a 6-well bundt cakelet pan with baking spray (see notes on making this a full sized bundt cake), and evenly divide the batter between them. Tap firmly on the bench to help remove any air bubbles. Place on a sheet pan.
- Bake the mini bundt cakes for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and allowing to cool completely.
- Place the cooled bundts on a wire rack over a baking sheet. If your caramel has cooled, warm it up in the microwave slightly until it is a pouring consistency.
- Drizzle the cakes with the coffee caramel, and finish with sea salt if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. If you aren’t planning on eating them all at once, you can store the caramel and cakes separately and assemble before eating to prevent them going too soggy.
Cake adapted from "Edmonds Cookbook"
I made this recipe twice in order to give me 12 cakes - I baked them, then let the pan cool while I mixed up the next batch.