Shortbread base topped with a 'magic' layer - shredded coconut, chopped hazelnuts, chooped chocolate, peppermint candies, and milk chocolate mini eggs. These come together quickly and are the perfect holiday treat.
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 60g light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 30g dutch process cocoa
- 30g chopped hazelnuts (we used pre-chopped, see notes)
- One 14 oz (400g) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 75g chopped hazelnuts
- 120g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 70g white chocolate, chopped
- 70g dark chocolate, chopped
- 330g milk chocolate mini eggs, roughly chopped (1 1/2 bags)
- 40g crushed peppermint candies
- 1 tsp salt
- Flaky Sea Salt for finishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°f / 190°c. Grease and line a 9” square pan with parchment paper, extending the paper over the sides slightly to give you a ‘sling’ to help remove the bars easily when they are done.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean paste until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and cocoa and mix to combine. Add the chopped hazelnuts and mix briefly to incorporate.
- Press the base into the pan, packing it in with the base of a measuring cup or an offset spatula.
- Prick the base well all over, then bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
TOPPING AND ASSEMBLY
- Drizzle 2-3 Tbsp of condensed milk over the warm shortbread base, and spread with a pastry brush or offset spatula.
- Remove a small handful of each of the topping components (chopped nuts, coconut, white and dark chocolate, and mini eggs) to put on top of the bars, then place the rest in a medium sized bowl, add the salt, and toss well to combine.
- Add the remainder of the condensed milk, and mix well until combined and everything is well coated.
- Transfer the topping mixture to the pan, and smooth down well with an offset spatula, packing it in slightly
- Sprinkle with the reserved filling ingredients.
- Bake the bars for 18-20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the coconut on top of the bars is starting to turn slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Cool completely before removing and slicing using a sharp knife.
Keywords: magic bars, christmas, mini eggs, coconut, 7 layer bars, shortbread