Gingerbread Sheet Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Gingerbread Sheet Cake
- 320g (2 ¼ cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 200g (1 cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 300g (1 ¼ cups) whole milk
- 170g (½ cup) unsulphured molasses
- 90g (6 Tbsp) Canola oil
- 2 large eggs
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 170g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 335g cream cheese, cold from the fridge
- 670g icing sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ tsp salt
- 80g maple syrup
GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with baking spray, or grease with butter. Line with a parchment paper sling.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and allspice. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add milk, molasses, oil, and eggs. Beat with a mixer at low speed until combined, about 1 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on counter twice to release air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Dust with icing sugar, or frost with maple cream cheese frosting (recipe follows)
MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on high until pale and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add icing sugar, vanilla bean paste and salt, and mix on low to combine. Turn the mixer to high and beat for another 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add maple syrup, and beat until well combined.
- Scrape the frosting onto the cake, and spread with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cake recipe reprinted with permission from “Cake: Layered, Frosted, Sliced and Shared”.