This easy gingerbread cookie dough is great for making cut out gingerbread cookies. It can be used to make a wide range of gingerbread cookies and is a great make ahead gingerbread cookie dough for your holiday baking!
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g brown sugar
- 125g molasses (regular or blackstrap work fine)
- 1 large egg (50g without the shell), at room temperature
- 400g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp allspice
- A few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, and molasses. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. This step can also be done in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the egg and mix well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Flour the top lightly and pat gently into a rectangle shape with your hands.
- Top with a second piece of parchment paper, and roll to a thickness of 0.25" / 6mm.
- Transfer the dough, still between the two pieces of parchment paper, to a sheet pan. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours to allow the dough to firm up, and up to three days ahead.
- Proceed with the recipe as written - such as my easy gingerbread cookie recipe.
Keywords: Gingerbread Cookies, Gingerbread Cookie Dough, easy gingerbread cookie dough