Ginger Molasses Cookies are soft, chewy, and spicy, and rolled in a ginger sugar. They come together super quickly, and are the perfect holiday (or any time) cookie!
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 100g granulated sugar
- 30g molasses (if you are in NZ or can’t get molasses, use treacle)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 310g All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- For rolling- 100g sugar and 1 tsp ground ginger, combined
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper (you may have to bake these in several batches depending on how many trays your oven can tolerate).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and molasses together on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla bean paste and mix to combine. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a small bowl. Add to the mixer and mix on low until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup spring-loaded cookie scoop (4 Tbsp - or you can roll together 2 2 Tbsp pieces), scoop balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Each ball should weigh about 65g. I like to do 6 on each sheet. Roll each ball of dough between your hands to form a ball, then roll in the ginger sugar before placing on the baking sheet. Leave any mixture that you are not baking off just yet in the bowl and scoop just before baking.
- Bake the cookies for 13-14 minutes or until puffy and set around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes - the cookies will deflate slightly as they cool. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Repeat the baking process with the remaining cookie dough.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Ginger Molasses, Ginger Molasses sugar cookies, ginger cookies