This Funfetti Snack Cake with Raspberry American Buttercream Frosting is the perfect small celebration cake. A fluffy Vanilla Snack Cake is filled with sprinkles and is topped with a Raspberry American Buttercream and Finished with Sprinkles. You can use any sprinkles or frosting you like for this recipe to make it suitable for any occasion!
Funfetti Snack Cake
- 260g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 125g whole milk, at room temperature
- 80g full fat greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 160g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 120g rainbow sprinkles
Raspberry American Buttercream Frosting
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g powdered sugar, sifted
- 10g freeze dried raspberry powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream (start with 2 Tbsp and add the third if you think the mixture needs it)
- Sprinkles to finish, optional
FUNFETTI SNACK CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease and line an 8" (20cm) square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, greek yoghurt, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula.
- With the mixer on low, alternately add the wet and dry ingredients. Add a third of the dry ingredients, followed by half the wet ingredients, then another third of the dry ingredients, followed by the second half of the wet ingredients. Finally, add the remaining third of the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the sprinkles and fold in by hand to ensure they are evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth down. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to ensure the mixture is settled.
- Bake the Funfetti Snack Cake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown, springs back when lightly pressed, and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pan and place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
RASPBERRY AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together the butter, powdered sugar, freeze dried raspberry powder, and salt on high speed until combined. It will clump and then come together.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream and mix to combine. Mix for a further 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Plop the Raspberry American Buttercream onto the top of the cooled cake and spread with an offset spatula as desired. Top with sprinkles if using.
- Cut into pieces using a sharp knife - you can cut into 9 very large pieces, 12 slightly smaller rectangular pieces, or 16 small squares.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Cake is adapted from the Ovenly Cookbook
Keywords: Snack Cake, Funfetti Cake, Vanilla Snack Cake, Raspberry Buttercream, American Buttercream, Small Birthday Cake, Funfetti Snack Cake