This easy brownie recipe makes the perfect fudgy brownies. Homemade brownies have a crinkly brownie top, and can be made in under an hour. These fudgy brownies are made with both cocoa and chocolate for the perfect fudgy brownie texture and rich chocolate taste.
- 200g dark chocolate (I used 72%), coarsely chopped
- 180g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge is fine
- 15g dutch process cocoa, or regular unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 3 large eggs (about 150g not including shells), at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g light or dark brown sugar
- 2g (1/2 tsp) kosher salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 100g all-purpose flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Grease and line a 9” (23cm) square pan with parchment paper, making sure the parchment extends over the sides of the pan to form a ‘sling’. Clip down with binder clips if desired.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water), combine the dark chocolate and butter. Heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth. Alternatively you can do this step in the microwave - microwave for 30 second increments, stirring well after each until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- Sift the cocoa powder over top of the chocolate and butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium to high speed with an electric handheld mixer for 2-3 minutes until the mixture has lightened and increased in volume. This step can also be done in a stand mixer using the whisk attachment.
- Add the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add the salt and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour and incorporate by hand until the mixture is smooth and does not have any lumps.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and tap the pan on the counter a few times to ensure there are no air bubbles. Leave to sit for a minute or two then bang again to ensure there are no bubbles.
- Bake the brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, checking after 20. You are looking for the edges and top of the brownie to be set, and when a skewer is inserted into the middle, it should come out with a few moist crumbs attached. You are best to lean toward under baking than over baking.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Leave to cool in the pan then remove using the parchment paper sling. Slice into squares using a sharp knife.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
If you want the crinkly top on brownies it is very important to whip the eggs and sugar for a full 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. If your granulated sugar is on the coarser side, using caster sugar will help (see blog post copy for notes on caster sugar)
Keywords: brownies, fudgy brownies, chocolate brownies