Black Forest Bundt Cake (Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake with Whipped Cream and Cherries)
Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake
- 300g unsalted butter, melted
- 320g buttermilk, warmed slightly
- 100g dutch process cocoa, sifted
- 150g sour cream or full fat greek yoghurt, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 360g granulated sugar
- 360g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 350g pitted cherries, diced (I cut each cherry into about 8 pieces)
Whipped Cream Topping
- 250g heavy cream, cold
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- Fresh Cherries to garnish
- Shaved chocolate to garnish
CHOCOLATE CHERRY BUNDT
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, buttermilk, and cocoa. Add the sour cream, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla, and mix well to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, and whisk to combine - use a flexible rubber spatula to make sure there are no dry parts at the bottom of the bowl. Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Leave the batter to sit in the bowl for 5 minutes. During this time, spray a 10 cup bundt pan with non stick baking spray with flour, or spray with a baking spray and lightly dust with cocoa.
- Rap the bowl of batter a few times on the counter to release any big air bubbles, then carefully transfer the batter to the prepared bundt pan. Leave to stand for a further 2 minutes, then rap one more time. Place onto a sheet pan.
- Bake the bundt cake for 60-65 minutes, testing for doneness after 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the deepest part of the cake comes out clean (this can be a little tricky to do - make sure you poke the skewer down to the middle part of the cake).
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack and allowing to cool completely.
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- Place the cream, vanilla bean paste, and powdered sugar into a medium sized bowl, and whip with a whisk until medium peaks form. Pile the whipped cream on top of the cake, and top with fresh cherries and chocolate curls.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cake recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour