Black Cocoa Sugar Cookie Sandwiches with Cream Cheese Buttercream are the perfect 'grown-up oreo' treat! Soft, chewy black cocoa sugar cookies are paired with a smooth cream cheese frosting to make the perfect sugar cookie sandwich.
Black Cocoa Sugar Cookies
- 230g all-purpose flour
- 50g black cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 350g sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 85g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 170g cream cheese, cold
- 340g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
BLACK SUGAR COOKIES
- Preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line three baking trays with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until combined. Add the flour and cocoa mixture, and beat on low until just incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop 2 tbsp worth of mixture at a time. Roll into a ball using your hands, then roll generously sugar. Place on the baking tray, leaving plenty of room to spread (I had 8 cookies per baking tray).
- Bake one tray at a time for 11-12 minutes, until the cookies have puffed up and are beginning to crack on the tops, and the edges are set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray for 15 minutes and then transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.
FROSTING AND ASSEMBLY
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on high until pale and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add powdered sugar, and mix on low to combine. Add vanilla and salt. Turn the mixer to high and beat for another 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a french star tip (I used an Ateco #865). Alternatively use your piping tip of choice.
- Pair up the cookies. Pipe blobs of frosting onto one cookie and place another on top, pressing lightly to stick. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies. Chill until frosting is set.
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cookie recipe slightly adapted from The Vanilla Bean Baking Book
Keywords: sugar cookies, chocolate sugar cookies, sugar cookie sandwiches, cream cheese, cream cheese frosting