These easy banana bread muffins come together in less than 30 minutes and are a great recipe to use up overripe bananas. This banana bread muffin recipe gives you all the flavour of a classic banana bread, but in a fraction of the baking time!
- 420g over ripe bananas (weight is flesh of bananas only, not including skin)
- 70g full fat greek yoghurt or sour cream, at room temperature
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 80g granulated sugar
- 120g brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100g not including shell), at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 235g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Raw sugar for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat the oven to 430°f / 220°c. Grease a muffin pan with butter or baking spray (I like to bake these directly in the pan with no liner but feel free to use one if your muffin pan isn’t super nonstick) - you will use 10 holes of the muffin tin.
- Add the over ripe bananas and greek yoghurt to a medium bowl. Either using a handheld electric mixer or a fork, mash the bananas until fairly smooth and the yoghurt is incorporated.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.Add the banana and yoghurt mixture to the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Combine the flour, baking soda baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl (I quickly wipe out the banana bowl and use it for the dry ingredients but use a new one if you like). Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over beat the mixture. I like to stop just before it is incorporated and finish it off by hand.
- Divide the batter between 10 holes in the muffin pan, filling right to the tops (you can divide between 12 if you want but you will need to reduce the baking time slightly).
- Sprinkle with raw sugar if using. Bake the muffins for 10 minutes at 430°f /220°c, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°f / 190°c and bake for a further 9-10 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes then remove from the muffin tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store leftovers lightly wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days. Leftovers are best lightly toasted.
Keywords: Muffins, banana muffins, banana bread muffin recipe, easy banana muffins