Banana Sheet Cake with Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 250g (2 ¼ sticks/8.8oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 350g (1 ¾ cups) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp (8grams) baking soda
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk
- 500g (4 cups) All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (8 grams) baking powder
Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 600g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 400g heavy cream
- pinch salt
- Chocolate Pearls and flaky sea salt to finish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350f/180c. Grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add bananas and beat until incorporated. Add eggs one at a time, ensuring bowl is well scraped down and mixture is well combined.
- Heat milk in the microwave, or a small pan until boiling. Add baking soda to milk, and add to the mix, mixing until well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder, and add to the mixture. Mix briefly until just combined. Scrape into the prepared pan, and bake 30-45 minutes until lightly golden, and a tester inserted in the middle of a cake comes out clean. If you don't mind the cake being a little more dense, you can also place a clean tea towel over the cake soon after it comes out of the oven and press down gently to help lessen the dome. Allow to cool completely.
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chocolate in the bowl of a stand mixer or heatproof bowl. Place the cream in a small pan, and place over low heat until just boiling. Pour over the chopped chocolate, add the salt, then cover the bowl with a plate. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let the ganache sit on the counter for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then carefully cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge, and leave for 60-90 minutes, checking occasionally, until a scoopable consistency. Place the mixing bowl on the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until whipped.
- Dump the ganache onto the cooled cake, spread with an offset spatula, and sprinkle with chocolate pearls and flaky sea salt. Slice into squares to serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.