Rocky Road Ice Cream Pops
Chocolate Ice Cream Base
- 65g dutch cocoa (this makes a VERY intense chocolate ice cream so reduce by 20g if you like)
- 270g whole milk
- 450g heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 210g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75g marshmallows, chopped
- 200g turkish delight, chopped
Chocolate Dip with Crispy Pearls
- 650g good quality milk chocolate
- 4 tsp refined coconut oil
- 175g crispy chocolate pearls (optional)
CHOCOLATE ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, milk and cream. Place over medium high heat, and bring to just shy of a simmer. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt until the mixture lightens in colour.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat, and whisking constantly, pour about half of it into the egg yolk mixture to temper the yolks. Mix well to combine, then pour back into the saucepan, and place over medium low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon and reads 175˚f / 80˚c on a thermometer. Strain into a container, leave to sit at room temperature for an hour, then cover and place in the fridge for at least four hours, until it has cooled to at least 40˚f / 5˚c.
- Transfer the cooled chocolate custard to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the chopped turkish delight and marshmallow and mix until combined - finish off by hand if needed.
- Divide the ice cream mixture evenly amongst your ice cream moulds (if you have a little leftover just pop into a container, cover the surface with wax paper and freeze). Add sticks and freeze until solid, ideally overnight.
- Unmould the ice cream pops, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place back into the freezer to freeze solid - approx 30 minutes.
- Make a double boiler by placing a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring that the water does not touch the bowl.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in the bowl, and, stirring often, heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the double boiler setup, and leave the chocolate to cool, stirring often, until it has reached approximately 95˚f / 35˚c. Add the crispy pearls, stir to combine, and transfer about half of the mixture to a jar or glass that is just larger than the ice cream pop - fill almost to the top.
- Dip the frozen ice cream pops in the chocolate mixture one at a time, ensuring they are evenly covered, and holding them briefly to allow excess to drip off. Once dipped, place back on the lined baking sheet in the freezer. Top up your chocolate mixture as needed.
- Allow to freeze for an additional hour or so before eating. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer.
Ice Cream Base Adapted from Alton Brown