Hazelnut Brownie Bites with Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 280g (2 cups) raw hazelnuts
- 424g (1 ½ cups) melted dark chocolate (at least 70%)
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Hazelnut Brownie Bites
- 60g (4 Tbsp) Unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 180g Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- 80g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60ml) neutral oil
- 135g (⅔ cup) sugar
- 38g (3 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
- 260g unsalted butter, at room temp
- 200g powdered sugar / icing sugar, sifted
- 60g dutch cocoa, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 250g chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1-2 Tbsp cream, only if needed to thin the frosting (I didn't need)
- Sprinkles to decorate, if desired
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f / 180˚c. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven, shaking occasionally, for 8-10 mins, checking often, until the are golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then rub between your hands to remove the skins. Do not worry about any stubborn skins. Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse briefly to chop.
- Add the melted dark chocolate, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine, then mix on high speed for at least five minutes. Check, and give more time mixing if needed. Transfer to a container and store at room temperature until you are ready to use.
HAZELNUT BROWNIE BITES
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f / 180˚c. Grease a 12 hole mini cheesecake pan or pan of choice with butter and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, combine the butter, chocolate, and hazelnut spread, and warm, stirring often, until everything is melted and combined. Set aside to cool slightly, then sift in the cocoa and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- In a medium to large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla bean paste. Whisk to combine. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, and stir well to mix. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined and homogenous.
- Divide the mixture evenly, using a spoon or cookie scoop, between the 12 cavities in the pan. Place the pan on a baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, checking for doneness after 25, until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 min before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
DARK CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, 3-4 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla bean paste, and chocolate hazelnut spread, and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice. If needed, add cream 1 tsp at a time to get the frosting to piping consistency. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with an open star tip (I used an ateco 826 tip).
- Pipe rosettes, swirls or blobs on top of each cooled brownie, and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Store in an airtight container.