Rhubarb Almond Crumble with Kaffir Lime Ice Cream
Ice cream base
- 2 cups (480ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves, central rib removed, finely sliced
Rhubarb Almond Crumble
- 800g (1.7lbs) rhubarb, cut into about 2 inch lengths
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 1 cup (145g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) raw sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ sticks (170g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- Freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker at least 24 hours before you begin.
- In a medium pot, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, salt and egg yolks. Add the chopped kaffir lime leaves and stir to combine. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Remove from the fridge, and heat over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, the mixture is just shy of a simmer, has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Watch carefully to ensure that it does not split (which will happen if you let it get too hot). Pass the custard mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least two hours, or overnight.
- Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a freezer safe container (I used a loaf tin), and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap on the surface. Freeze until solid.
RHUBARB ALMOND CRUMBLE
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f / 180˚c. Toss together the chopped rhubarb, ½ cup of raw sugar and 2 Tbsp of flour. Turn the fruit mixture into a 9" x 9" baking dish, or square tin of similar size (I used a 7" x 10" baking dish).
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond meal, flour, sugar, raw sugar, and salt. Rub the butter in using your fingertips until the mixture becomes clumpy and crumbly. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the prepared rhubarb.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then dust with icing sugar. Serve with the Kaffir Lime Ice cream.
Ice cream recipe barely adapted from Saveur