Vanilla Sandwich Cookie with Vanilla bean Marshmallow and Dark Chocolate Ganache
Vanilla Sugar Cookie
- 226g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 300g (1 ½ cups) granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300g (2 cups) Bob's Red Mill All-purpose Flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
Vanilla Bean Marshmallow
- 14g (2 packets) powdered gelatine
- 76g cold water
- 103g liquid honey
- 76g water
- 265g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 250g dark chocolate (approx 70% cocoa solids)
- 15g (1 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g heavy cream
- Melted White Chocolate
- Sprinkles of your choice
VANILLA BEAN SUGAR COOKIE
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f /180˚c. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla paste, and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined. Scrape bowl again to ensure that the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Place approximately a cup of sugar in a bowl. Scoop tablespoons of the mixture using a #70 scoop, and roll into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat completely. Place evenly spaced apart on the baking sheet, leaving room for spreading (11 per half baking sheet works well). You will need to bake your cookies in several batches.
- Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes, until puffy and barely golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan - during this time they will deflate and crackle slightly. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Repeat sugar rolling and baking process with remaining dough.
- Pair up the cookies with another of a similar size. Prepare the marshmallow and ganache
VANILLA BEAN MARSHMALLOW
- Fit a large piping bag with a round tip. Fit the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. In the mixing bowl, combine the cold water and gelatin and mix well with a fork, and leave to bloom while you prepare the sugar syrup.
- In a medium pot, combine the water, honey, vanilla, and sugar. Heat over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally. Heat until the syrup reaches 240˚f /120˚c, then remove from the heat and leave to cool to 210˚f /100˚c.
- Turn the mixer on to medium, and mix for a few seconds to help break up the bloomed gelatin. With the mixer running, VERY carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the mixer. Turn the speed up to high, and whip for 5-7 minutes, until the marshmallow has doubled in volume, has turned white, and holds somewhat of a peak when you stop the mixer and lift out the whisk. Transfer to the piping bag.
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small pot over medium heat, until boiling. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and butter, and immediately cover with a plate. Leave to sit for 5-6 minutes. Whisk well until smooth, microwaving for 10 second increments, if needed, to melt any additional pieces of chocolate, stirring well. Transfer the ganache to a small piping bag fitted with a star attachment.
- Match the cookies with another of similar size. Pipe a ring of marshmallow on one half of each pair. Pipe a blob of ganache in the middle of each cookie. Sandwich with the second cookie. Rest cookies for 20 minutes to allow the marshmallow to set.
- Drizzle the cookies with melted white chocolate, and sprinkle with your favourite sprinkles.