Pesto and feta scrolls are the perfect savoury bread recipe. Fluffy homemade bread dough is filled with pesto and feta.
- 180g warm whole milk, or water
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 envelope (2 ¼ tsp) dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 390g All purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 55g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 packed cups basil leaves, washed and patted dry
- ⅓ cup (45g) nuts (I use pine nuts but walnuts, almonds or pecans also work well)
- ½ cup (50g) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup (240ml) Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Place Basil, nuts, parmesan and garlic in a blender or food processor. With the motor running, slowly add the oil until the consistency is a little more runny than a thick paste - you may not need all of the oil. Season to taste. Transfer to a container and set aside. I like to do this step while the dough is proofing.
- In a small glass bowl, warm the milk in the microwave, or in a pan on the stovetop, until it is just warm to the touch. Add the yeast and sugar, and let sit for 5 minutes until it begins to foam on the top.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and salt and mix lightly to combine. Crack the egg into the milk and yeast mixture, and whisk with a fork to combine slightly. Add to the flour mixture, along with the butter.
- Mix on low for approximately 6-7 minutes, or until the dough is strong and smooth. Transfer to a well oiled bowl, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for approximately an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knock some of the air out using your hands. Roll into a roughly shaped rectangle approximately 18"x12" (46cm x 30cm). Spread generously with pesto, leaving a small border around the outside, and sprinkle with the crumbled feta. Roll tightly, starting at a vertical edge, until you have a tight log.
- Cut the log into 12 even pieces. Arrange in a lightly oiled baking dish or baking tray, leaving a little room between for spreading (I used a cast iron baking dish that was approx 12" x 9"). Cover lightly with oiled plastic, and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour, or until they spring back lightly and your finger leaves in indentation in the dough. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350f/180c.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and water together. Brush the surface of the rolls lightly with egg wash. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the buns are golden brown. Serve slightly warm, with additional pesto if desired.
Adapted from 'Small Victories'
Keywords: pesto and feta scrolls, pesto buns, savory bread recipes