Easy Vanilla Bean Cupcakes topped with Galaxy Style American Buttercream frosting. These are the perfect space themed cupcakes!
- 95g Self raising flour
- 80g all-purpose flour
- 100g sugar
- 120g whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 115g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 440g powdered sugar
- 30-45g whole milk
- Gel food colouring
- 115g butter, at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 190g Powdered sugar
- 25g Black cocoa
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350f/180c. Line a 24 hole mini cupcake tin with liners.
- Place flours and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low for two minutes, then add the butter a cube at a time. Do not rush. Mix until it is the consistency of sand. Add half the milk and vanilla, and mix until combined, approximately one minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the remainder of the milk, and mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes until well incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the liners, with approximately 1 tbsp of batter in each. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the cupcake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high until light in colour. Add sifted powder sugar and vanilla, and beat on high until well incorporated. Add milk a tablespoon at a time and beat until it is a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Divide the buttercream between three bowls, and tint each with the desired 'galaxy' colour using gel food colouring
BLACK FOOD COLOURING
Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted a paddle attachment. Beat on high until light in colour. Add sifted powdered sugar, black cocoa and vanilla, and beat on high until well incorporated. Add milk a tablespoon a time until it is a smooth and spreadable consistency.
Fit a large piping bag with a closed star tip (A wilton 1M or 2D). Add the buttercream to the bag a tablespoon at a time, alternating each colour in buttercream until the bag is full. Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake. Place a small amount of gel food colouring in a bowl, watered down if necessary. Using your finger, flick small amounts of the food colouring onto the cupcakes to simulate stars. Follow with a small sprinkle of edible glitter on each cupcake.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Magnolia Bakery
Keywords: cupcakes, buttercream, american buttercream