Peanut Butter Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Peanut Butter Caramel
- 200g granulated sugar
- 90g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120g heavy cream
- 100g creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
- 113g cold unsalted butter
- 250g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 50g extra dutched cocoa
- 140g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 120g neutral oil
- 300g sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 450g (two 225g packages) full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
PEANUT BUTTER CARAMEL
- Place the heavy cream in a small pan, and warm gently. Add the peanut butter and whisk to combine - if it seizes a little, you can add a small splash more cream, but it will smooth out once you add it to the caramel. Set aside.
- Place the sugar in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat on medium, whisking occasionally. The sugar will start to form clumps, then begin to melt. Cook until is it amber in colour, then remove from the heat and immediately add all of the butter. Be careful as the caramel will bubble rapidly. Once the butter is incorporated, add in the peanut butter and cream mixture, and the salt. Whisk until emulsified. Transfer to an airtight container and leave to stand at room temperature until cooled, or store in the fridge until ready to use (you may have to re-warm slightly to swirl on top of the brownies)
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 350˚f / 180˚c. Grease a 9” square baking tin and line with a parchment paper sling.
- Melt together the butter and chocolate in a medium pan over low heat, stirring well until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and mix well to combine, then set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Add the chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Gently fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and cream until it has a whipped texture. If you find that the cream cheese is a little stiff, add a little more cream and whip in to loosen it up slightly.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture through the brownie batter in three additions, taking care not to over incorporate too much - you want some big blobs of cream cheese remaining.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tin. Drizzle 200g of the peanut butter caramel over the surface of the brownie and swirl in using a knife or a toothpick. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the top of the brownie is set and a skewer inserted comes out with still a few crumbs attached. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Brownie Base Recipe adapted from ‘The Vanilla Bean Baking Book’