These Nutella Mini Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect way to use up any leftover Easter candy. The black cocoa chocolate chip cookie base is filled with chopped mini eggs and pockets of Nutella. The cookies are chewy and rich and this small batch chocolate chip cookie recipe only makes 12 cookies!
- 100g nutella
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 95g granulated sugar
- 65g light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 110g all-purpose flour
- 35g black cocoa or dutch process cocoa
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 140g chopped mini eggs (or 140g chopped dark chocolate or chopped candy coated chocolate such as M&Ms)
- Extra mini eggs for finishing cookies with (optional)
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the nutella into a piping bag with the end snipped off. Pipe small blobs of nutella onto the parchment paper about ½ inch diameter (the size is not super important).
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze for at least 30 minutes until the nutella is completely firm. Peel the nutella pieces from the parchment to loosen and place the baking sheet back into the freezer until ready to use the nutella pieces (this just means that they stay as cold as possible and when the time comes to use them they can be easily added to the bowl without having to loosen them first).
- In a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the mixing bowl and mix until just combined - you can have a few streaks of flour remaining. Add the chopped mini eggs and nutella pieces straight from the freezer and mix to incorporate.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a 2 Tbsp scoop, scoop out balls of dough and place them onto the baking sheet - they can be close together. Cover the pan with a lid or plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least an hour.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly roll the dough into balls and arrange on the baking sheet - I do 6 per sheet. Keep remaining dough balls in the fridge until ready to bake.
- Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes until set around the edges and puffy in the middle. Remove from the oven and bang the tray onto the counter to help deflate the cookies. Add additional mini eggs to the tops of the cookies if desired, then use a cookie cutter slightly larger than the cookies to scoot them into a perfectly round shape (this is an optional step).
- Leave the cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing them to cool completely. Repeat the baking process with the remaining cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Cookies, Nutella, Mini Eggs, Easter Cookies, Chocolate, black cocoa, chocolate chip cookies, small batch