Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Sweet Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 565g all-purpose flour, divided
- 65g granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 300g whole milk
- 115g butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
Chocolate Peppermint Filling
- 200g dark chocolate, finely grated
- 50g brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 85g peppermint candies, crushed
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 115g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 240g powdered sugar
- Crushed peppermint candies to garnish
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 190g of the flour with the sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and the butter over medium heat until it registers 120°f / 49°c. Add to the flour mixture and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat for a further 2 minutes. With the mixer on low, gradually add 350g flour, beating until just combined and stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer. Beat at medium speed until a soft dough forms, 6-8 minutes, adding the remaining 25g flour a little at a time if needed. If the dough still seems too soft, add a Tbsp flour at a time, mixing until combined, until it just pulls away from the sides (the dough will be very soft and may still stick to the sides a little).
- Form the dough into a ball, and place into a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, 40 minutes to an hour.
FILLING AND ASSEMBLY
- To make the filling, combine all of the filling ingredients except for the peppermint candies in a small bowl, and mix to combine.
- Line a quarter sheet pan ('9”x13”) with parchment paper.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a rectangle. Roll into an 18”x12” (45x30cm), squaring off the edges as best you can as you go.
- Spread the chocolate filling over the surface of the dough with an offset spatula, and then sprinkle evenly with the peppermint candies.
- Starting with the long end, roll up the dough into a tight spiral. Trim the ends a little if needed, and then measure the length of the log and divide into 12 equal pieces by cutting into slices using a sharp knife. (if your dough is particularly soft, divide into two logs, place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, cover lightly and chill for 15-20 minutes to help make the cutting process easier).
- Arrange the rolls in the prepared sheet pan. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, or until puffy, and a small indentation is left when poked gently with your finger. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350°f / 180°c.
- Bake the sweet rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly golden and a thermometer inserted into the centre reads 190°f / 88°c, tenting with foil toward the end of the bake if desired to prevent excess browning.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 30 minutes before frosting with the cream cheese frosting and sprinkling with more peppermint candies.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla bean paste, and salt at high speed until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix to combine, scraping down the sides as needed. Mix on high speed for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Bake From Scratch Magazine