Oven fries with truffle aioli
- 3-4 medium Idaho or russet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Flaky salt for finishing
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- freshly shaved truffle to taste, or 1 Tbsp truffle oil
- 1 cup neutral oil such as rice bran, canola, or sunflower
Note: If you are not making the truffle version of the aioli, add in a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, and increase the lemon to the juice of one lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚f / 230˚c.
- Peel potatoes, and cut into one inch wide fries. Place into a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes by about an inch. Turn the element to high, and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the fries for 10 minutes, removing from the heat once the 10 minutes is up (They may not necessarily come to a boil). During the last few minutes of cooking time, add 3 Tbsp oil to a baking sheet, and place in the oven to heat the oil.
- Once the potatoes have reached their 10 minutes, strain through a colander. Place onto the preheated baking tray, and toss lightly to coat in oil, adding more if necessary. Sprinkle with a small amount of sea salt.
- Bake the fries for 30-35 minutes, checking and tossing every 5 minutes after the 20 minute mark to ensure that they are evenly golden.
- Remove from the oven, season well with salt, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Stick blender method: Place all ingredients in a stick blender friendly container. Blend on high, moving the end of the blender up and down the container to help combine ingredients, until thick and emulsified. Taste and adjust salt / lemon levels if necessary.
- Blender method: Place egg, salt, lemon juice and truffle in a high powered blender, and pulse to combine. Turn the power onto medium, and slowly drizzle the oil into the blender in a very fine stream, until the aioli begins to emulsify. Add the remainder of the oil slowly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Fries recipe from Smitten Kitchen